Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The 7th Day of the 40-Day Journey: The Pursuit of Happiness



For those of us who live in the US, “Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness”, one of the most famous phrases in the United States Declaration of Independence, reminds us proudly of our “inalienable rights” as humans.  So, we live to pursue happiness in many ways and with perseverance, even though many times we fail miserably.  But do you know that true happiness for us is to know that we are being pursued by love?
King David knows that.
Of David. A maskil.
1 Blessed are those whose transgressions are forgiven, 
whose sins are covered.
2 Blessed are those whose sin the LORD does not count against them and in whose spirit is no deceit.

3 When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. 

4 For day and night Your hand was heavy on me; 
my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer.
5 Then I acknowledged my sin to You and did not cover up my iniquity.  I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD.” 
And You forgave the guilt of my sin.
6 Therefore let all the faithful pray to You while You may be found; 
surely the rising of the mighty waters will not reach them. 

7 You are my hiding place; You will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.

8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you. 

9 Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding 
but must be controlled by bit and bridle or they will not come to you.
10 Many are the woes of the wicked, but the LORD’s unfailing love surrounds those who trust in Him.
11 Rejoice in the LORD and be glad, you righteous; sing, all you who are upright in heart!

David was in trouble.  He had committed sin (v5), and so he tried to hide from God (v3a).  The physical and psychological toll of this avoidance was tremendous (v3b).  These were not happy days.

Why did David try to hide from God?  Shame, fear, pride, defeat, loss of face/respect/status, …. As a true descendent of Adam and Eve, David wanted to be in control of his fate even when he was in trouble.

What was amazing was that David eventually realized the source and the meaning of his additional suffering (v4).  The love of God was pursuing him and calling him home, persistently. “Where can I go from Your Spirit? 
Where can I flee from Your presence?” (Psalm 139:7)  David had to face his powerlessness and total dependence.  He confessed his sin to God (v5).

The result?  The God David initially tried to hide from became the place where he was delivered and hide from “the rising of the mighty water” and “from trouble” (v6-7).  God caught David with the arms of His unfailing love.  David experienced true happiness of life, a life where sins are forgiven! (v1-2. “Blessed” can also be translated as “Happy”.)

Are you struggling at work, in school, at home, in church, or in your health?  Your struggles may be a loving invitation from the Lord to pursue true happiness.  Come and sit (or kneel if you can) quietly before the Lord to hear His voice of assurance.  Confess whatever sins are hindering your relationship with Him.  Then rejoice in the LORD, be glad, and sing a song of praise from the bottom of your heart (v11), because we have the “gift of righteousness” through Jesus Christ (v11, Romans 5:17).

Let’s pray,
Dear Lord, what a blessing to know that I am pursued by You through the love of Christ!  Remind me to come to You often, to listen to Your voice, to confess my sins, to receive Your forgiveness, and to be renewed by Your spirit!  In Jesus’ name, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment